Wednesday, April 2, 2014

How I Found Another Love – Ayo Adesanya

Ayo Adesanya remains one of the outstanding actresses in the Nigerian film industry. The actress with equally sexy shape and eyes that could make any man start imagining things, has been in the industry for close to two decades. She started alongside the likes of Liz Benson, Eucheria Anunobi and Regina Askia, among others. The lady, a cross-over actress, is also a comedian as she has demonstrated in some of her flicks, especially in one of her films titled, Amope Alasela, where she played a dual role.

This reporter has been trailing her for an interview for many months. Whenever a call was made to her, it she was either at a location or she would simply respond: “I’m sorry; I am not in town.” But last month, she said she was somewhere in Surulere, Lagos, heading for a location. “If you can catch up with me, we could go together, and probably you will have to conduct the interview at the location,” she suggested.

Read More below




And off to Surulere, this reporter went.

“Waoh, you can see the reason I told you to send the question to my e-mail,” she said after a warm greeting.

“I actually did, but you never responded.”

“Yes, I could remember. I am sorry. I was actually busy. Now I am not that busy; but some of your questions get as e be ooo.”

“Really, like which ones?”

“You are asking me. Don’t you know the kind of questions you sent to me? You journalists; I dey fear una.”

“Why?”

“Don’t tell me we have started the interview already,” she asked jokingly “Of course, yes,” I responded.

“So, what do you want to know about me?”

“A lot, but the funniest thing is not about me wanting to know something about you, but your fans. But I know you as Ayo Adesanya. Or, have you changed your name?”

“Change of name ko, change of name ni. I am still myself. I am Ayo Adesanya, an actress, a mother, business woman, and a film producer. And, yes, I am a heavy woman.”

“Really?”

“Don’t tell me you have eyes and you cannot see? Or, am I not big enough?”

“The first time I met you years back I thought you were from Oyo State.”

“No, I am not from Oyo State. I only went to Oyo State for education. That was at the University of Ibadan, where I studied Communications and Language Arts. I am from Ijebu in Ogun State.”

As if she was reading my mind, I was about asking her why acting, and not practising what she studied in school.

“I have always wanted to be an actress right from the beginning. I started from when I was at the nursery and primary school. I also acted when in secondary school as well as in the church. So, it has been part of me right from the beginning. Also, I acted when I was doing my national service.”

And no one could believe that Ayo actually started the journey to her make-believe career with a ‘waka pass’ role.

“I went for an interview where I met Ifeanyi. He was the one that invited me for an auditioning and in that auditioning I was given a waka pass role. That was my first role. And that was how the journey began. So, I have always liked acting. It is just inborn. I feel good acting. I have always preferred acting. Right from my childhood I knew I would end up being an actress.”

Those who may be in Ayo’s category – actresses who joined the industry say five or seven years ago – will be shocked to hear this:

“I started with the likes of Bimbo Akintola, Sandra Achums, Eucheria Anunobi and some others I cannot remember their names now. Those are my contemporaries, and that should be over 15 years ago.”

“You did not mention Regina Askia. I thought you both started together?” At this question, she exclaimed as if I had just hit her with a needle.

“Haa! Regina started before me. The reason people always believe we stated together is because we acted many films together – like in the film, Most Wanted, where I played a lead role with her – that film shot me into limelight. So, many people thought we are contemporaries. No, we are not; we started differently.

In that film, the play was centred on ladies. So, it required a lot of female cast to carry out what the directors of the film wanted and I was for

No comments:

Post a Comment